Sunday, December 19, 2010

How to: Pronounce Designer Names

This post is dedicated to one of my friends, you know who you are. She went to New York and when she came back she said she saw a "Gucky" store.
"You mean, Gucci?" I asked.
"No, Gucky" She replied, confident.
"I think it's called Gucci." I encouraged.
"I'm pretty sure it's Gucky" She insisted.
"It's Gucci, not 'Gucky"."
Our conversation went on like this for a while.
Later she asked if a bag was "Pray-da" (Prada), and once I had corrected her she asked, Wait, it's not pronounced 'Channel' (Chanel) either, is it?" .
I know I already did a designer pronunciation post, but this is a continuation. Obviously, I did not cover every designer, so here are some tips to help you pronounce designer names or avoid trying to.

  1. If you have no clue how to pronounce the name, say "is that, oh, um..." as if you briefly forgot the name. The other person may fill in if the name.
  2. If you have some idea of how to pronounce the name say it quietly and quickly so any mistakes are barely audible.
  3. Take your chances, pronounce the name wrong and hope the other person doesn't know that designer or how to pronounce the name.

Fashionably,
The Fashioneur

No comments:

Post a Comment